Shape memory alloy (SMA) is a special metal material with unique properties, that is, this material can restore to its original shape through pressure or temperature changes after deformation. The successful development of Ti-Ni SMA in the 1960s, with the continuous deepening of SMA theory and application research, SMAs gradually entered the practical stage. At present, SMAs have been widely used in aerospace, biomedicine, mechanical electronics and other fields. This article briefly reviews the application of SMAs and makes perspective comments on the current problems of SMA research.
Shape Memory Alloy, Ti-Ni Alloy, Materials, Application
2. Chluba C, Ge W, Lima de Miranda R, Strobel J, Kienle L, Quandt E, Wuttig M. Shape memory alloys. Ultralow-fatigue shape memory alloy films. Science 2015; 348(6238):1004-1007.
3. Lendlein A, Kelch S. Shape-memory polymers. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 2002; 41(12):2035-2057.
4. Gandhi Y, Pirondi A, Collini L. Optimal design of shape memory alloy compositeunder deflection constraint. Materials (Basel) 2019; 12(11):1733.
5. Jee KK, Han JH, Jang WY. A method of pipe joining using shape memory alloys. Mater Sci Eng A 2006; 438-440:1110-1112.
6. Kim JS, Lee DY, Koh JS, Jung GP, Cho KJ. Component assembly with shape memory polymer fastener for microrobots. Smart Mater Struct 2014; 23:5011.
7. Kalra S, Bhattacharya B, Munjal B. Design of shape memory alloy actuated intelligent parabolic antenna for space applications. Smart Mater Struct 2017; 26(9):14.
8. Huang W. On the selection of shape memory alloys for actuators. Mater Design 2002; 23:11-19.
9. 9 Pasquale M. Mechanical sensors and actuators. Sensor Actuat B-Chem 2003; A106:142-148.
10. Huang BJ, Wang JH, Wu JH, Yang PE. A fast response heat pump water heater using thermostat made from shape memory alloy. Appl Therm Eng 2009; 29(1):56-63.
11. Gull MA, Bai SP, Bak T. A review on design of upper limb exoskeletons. Robotics 2020; 9:16.
12. Gil FJ, Planell JA. Shape memory alloys for medical applications. Proc Inst Mech Eng H 1998; 212(6):473-488.
13. Tarnita D, Tarnita DN, Bizdoaca N, Mîndrila I, Vasilescu M. Properties and medical applications of shape memory alloys. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2009; 50(1):15-21.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.