The academic debate on the study of human and animal embryos has never stopped. Despite the great expectations of scientists, the human-animal embryo hybrid experiment costs a lot and requires high technology as the endorsement, and is highly questioned internationally. Human and animal embryo experiments are contrary to ethics, and the results of cross-species hybrid embryos are unpredictable, or cause zoonotic diseases or human catastrophe. The human and animal parts of the human “chimera” embryo will develop independently, and the DNA of the two will not be mixed. It is still far from being able to use the organs obtained from the mixed embryos of humans and animals to carry out organ transplants to save more lives.
Human-animal Embryo Hybridization, Organ Transplantation, Ethical Debate, Human Future
2. First human-monkey chimera raises concern among scientists. The Guardian, Last access date: 08 August, 2019; https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/03/first-human-monkey-chimera-raises-concern-among-scientists
3. Wu J, Platero-Luengo A, Sakurai M, Sugawara A, Gil MA, Yamauchi T, Suzuki K, Bogliotti YS, Cuello C, Morales Valencia M, Okumura D, Luo J, Vilariño M, Parrilla I, Soto DA, Martinez CA, Hishida T, Sánchez-Bautista S, Martinez-Martinez ML, Wang H, Nohalez A, Aizawa E, Martinez-Redondo P, Ocampo A, Reddy P, Roca J, Maga EA, Esteban CR, Berggren WT, Nuñez Delicado E, Lajara J, Guillen I, Guillen P, Campistol JM, Martinez EA, Ross PJ, Izpisua Belmonte JC. Interspecies Chimerism with Mammalian Pluripotent Stem Cells. Cell 2017; 168(3):473-486.e15.4.
4. Mummery CL, Roelen BA. Stem cells: Cloning human embryos. Nature 2013; 498(7453):174-175.
5. Breakthrough as scientists grow sheep embryos containing human cells. The Guardian, Last access date: 08 August, 2019; https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/17/breakthrough-as-scientists-grow-sheep-embryos-containing-human-cells
6. Cyranoski D. Japan approves first human-animal embryo experiments. Nature 2019; Last access date: 08 August, 2019; https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02275-3
7. Ministry OKs study to create human pancreas in rats and mice. The Asahi Shimbun, Last access date: 08 August, 2019; http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201907250051.html
8. Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008. UK Public General Acts, Last access date: 08 August, 2019; https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2008/22/section/54?view=plain
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.