Surgical repair is the only method of treatment for patients with cleft lip or/and palate. The cleft lip surgery is usually done when the child is 3 to 6 months old, while cleft palate repair is done between 2 and 3 years old in order to allow the palate to change as the child grows. Here we reported our experience of simultaneous surgeries for both cleft lip and cleft palate with satisfactory results in 48 patients who have not done cleft lip repair at early age. It reduced the treatment time, the patients’ pain, as well as the financial burden of the patients’ family by one operation.
Children, Cleft Lip, Cleft Palate, Combined Repair
2. Beaty TH, Taub MA, Scott AF, Murray JC, Marazita ML, Schwender H, Parker MM, Hetmanski JB, Balakrishnan P, Mansilla MA, Mangold E, Ludwig KU, Noethen MM, Rubini M, Elcioglu N, Ruczinski I. Confirming genes influencing risk to cleft lip with/without cleft palate in a case-parent trio study. Hum Genet 2013;132(7): 771-81.
3. Lu Y, Liu Q, Xu W, Li Z, Jiang M, Li X, Zhao N, Liu W, Sui Y, Ma C, Feng W, Han W, Li J. TGFA and IRF6 Contribute to the Risk of Nonsyndromic Cleft Lip with or without Cleft Palate in Northeast China. PLoS One 2013;8(8): e70754.
4. Rush ET, Stevens JM, Sanger WG, Olney AH. Report of a patient with developmental delay, hearing loss, growth retardation, and cleft lip and palate and a deletion of 7q34-36.1: review of distal 7q deletions. Am J Med Genet A 2013;161A(7): 1726-32.
5. Böhmer AC, Mangold E, Tessmann P, Mossey PA, Steegers-Theunissen RP, Lindemans J, Bouwman-Both M, Rubini M, Franceschelli P, Aiello V, Peterlin B, Molloy AM, Nöthen MM, Knapp M, Ludwig KU. Analysis of susceptibility loci for nonsyndromic orofacial clefting in a European trio sample. Am J Med Genet A 2013;161(10): 2545-9.
6. Beaty TH, Taub MA, Scott AF, Murray JC, Marazita ML, Schwender H, Parker MM, Hetmanski JB, Balakrishnan P, Mansilla MA, Mangold E, Ludwig KU, Noethen MM, Rubini M, Elcioglu N, Ruczinski I. Confirming genes influencing risk to cleft lip with/without cleft palate in a case-parent trio study. Hum Genet 2013 Jul;132(7): 771-81.
7. Jayaram R, Huppa C. Surgical correction of cleft lip and palate. Front Oral Biol 2012;16: 101-10.
8. Taub PJ, Collins M. Maintenance of certification: unilateral cleft lip repair. J Craniofac Surg 2012;23(2): 448-54.
9. Li W, Zheng Q, and Wei S. Simultaneous repair of cleft lip and closure of cleft hard palate with vomer flaps in patients with unilateral complete cleft lip and palate. West China Journal of Stomatology 2003;21(1): 34-47.
10. Ma L, Shi B, Li Y, Zheng Q. Velopharyngeal function assessment in patients with cleft palate: perceptual speech assessment versus nasopharyngoscopy. J Craniofac Surg 2013;24(4): 1229-31.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.