The advent of the Internet has provided humanity with massive benefits. Yet, internet-related problems, such as internet addiction, have become more frequent. Internet addiction is a major research issue in the domains of education and psychology. While there has been substantial research on student internet abuse in China and around the world, little is known about the online behavior of primary and secondary school students in China. These students are in crucial periods of mental and physical development, making them especially prone to internet addiction. This paper seeks to summarize the current status of internet reliance among Chinese schoolchildren, explain its underlying reasons, and emphasize the potential dangers in order to stimulate further discussion about the topic.
Internet Use, Internet Addiction, Primary and Secondary Students
2. Fischer-Grote L, Kothgassner OD, Felnhofer A. Risk factors for problematic smartphone use in children and adolescents: A review of existing literature. Neuropsychiatrie 2019; 33(4):179-190. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40211-019-00319-8
3. Gonzalez NA. Internet addiction disorder and its relation to impulse control. Texas A&M University-Kingsville. 2002. Available at: https://xs2.studiodahu.com/scholar?q=Internet+addiction+disorder+and+its+relation+to+impulse+control
4. Young KS. Internet addiction: The emergence of a new clinical disorder. Cyber Psychol Behav 1998; 1(3):237-244. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.1998.1.237
5. Davis RA. A cognitive-behavioral model of pathological Internet use. Comput Human Behav 2001; 17(2):187-195. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0747-5632(00)00041-8
6. Zhou R, Zhou Q. The relations between internet addiction, internet use behavior and the pleasant experience of communication. Comm Assoc Chin 1997; 1997(1):2-12.
7. China Health Education Center. Core information of China adolescent health education and interpretation (2018). Health Guid 2018; 24(6):5.
8. Fang Y, Ji WM, Shen J, Yang BY, Ji L. Blue Book of Teenagers: Annual Report on the Internet Use of Chinese Minors (2022). Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press. 2022.
9. Tao R, Huang XQ, Wang JN, Liu CY, Zhang HM, Xiao LJ, Yao SM. The formulation of clinical diagnostic criteria for internet addiction. Med J Chin People Liber Army 2008; 33(10):4
10. China Youth Association for Network Development. China Youth Internet Addiction Report in 2022. Legal Daily. 2022 February 2. pp. 4.
11. Li X, Zhang XQ, Du XD, Zhao SH. An investigation into the relationship between internet addiction and depression among secondary school students in Guizhou Province. Chin J Sch Doc 2022; 2022(10):736-738+746.
12. Ling J, Zhang JM, Zhao LH. An investigation of the current state of internet addiction among primary and secondary school students in Jiaxing City. Prevent Med 2022; 2022(12):1207-1211. DOI: https://doi.org/10.19485/j.cnki.issn2096-5087.2022.12.004
13. She YL, Li LP. Correlations between internet addiction and campus violence among secondary school students in Shantou City. Injury Med 2022; 2022(2):41-46.
14. Guo J. The status quo of off-campus internet use and Web dependence of primary school students, and parental intervention (master’s thesis). Sichuan Normal University. 2022. Available at: https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD202301&filename=1022026499.nh
15. Orben A, Przybylski AK. Teenage sleep and technology engagement across the week. Peer J 2020; 8:e8427. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7717%2Fpeerj.8427
16. Troll ES, Friese M, Loschelder, DD. How students’ self-control and smartphone-use explain their academic performance. Comput Human Behav 2020; 117:106624. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2020.106624
17. Ren SM, Li Y. The impact of the internet on the psychology of adolescent students. Popular Psychol 2002; 2002(5):2.
18. Song WH. Causes of internet addiction among primary and secondary school students and prevention measures. Educ Pract Res 2007; 2007(11):16-19.
19. Du XY, Jiang Y, Yang JW. Myopia among primary school students in Guangzhou City and its influencing factors. Chin J Sch Health 2020; 2020(8):1261-1263. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16835/j.cnki.1000-9817.20200.08.039
20. Yang SY, Chen MD, Huang YC, Lin CY, Chang JH. Association between smartphone use and musculoskeletal discomfort in adolescent students. J Community Health 2017; 42(3):423-430. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-016-0271-x
21. Yang J, Guo Y, Du X, Jiang Y, Wang W, Xiao D, Wang T, Lu C, Guo L. Association between problematic internet use and sleep disturbance among adolescents: The role of the child’s sex. Int J Environ Res Pub Health 2018; 15(12):2682. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390%2Fijerph15122682
22. Zhao LM. Abnormal patterns of resting state of adolescent internet addicts: An analysis based on functional magnetic resonance imaging (master’s thesis). Xi’an University of Electronic Science and Technology. 2013. Available at: https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD201402&filename=1013305853.nh
23. Zhang YL, Li S, Yu GL. The relationship between loneliness and mobile phone addiction: A meta-analysis. Adv Psychol Sci 2020; 2020(11):1836-1852
24. Gao J. An investigation into internet addiction among secondary school students in Weihai City and prevention measures (master’s thesis). Shandong Normal University. 2008. Available at: https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD2009&filename=2009025428.nh
25. Li Y. Psychological reasons for student addiction to online games and countermeasures. J Teach Manag 2008; 2008(27):52-53.
26. Dong RC, Zhou ZK, Liu QQ, Zhang DJ, Lei YJ, Guo C. Child internet use and academic achievement: A moderated mediating model. J Psychol Sci 2019; 2019(1):68-74. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16719/j.cnki.1671-6981.20190111
27. Xia YY. Internet morality education for teenagers (master’s thesis). Hunan Normal University. 2012. Available at: https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CMFD201302&filename=1013162773.nh
28. Shang XY, Shi GN, Zhang MH, Wang ZH. The Internet: A double-edged sword. Young Pion 2006; 2006(11):60-61.
29. Zhao RS. Internet cafes and juvenile delinquency. J Guangxi Police Coll 2007; 2007(1):19-20.
30. Wang L. Social Development in the Age of Information (doctoral dissertation). Central Party School. 2011. Available at: https://kns.cnki.net/KCMS/detail/detail.aspx?dbname=CDFD0911&filename=1011133367.nh
31. Tian LM. Concerns for physical self-esteem of primary and secondary school students and educational suggestions. Ment Health Educ Prim Second Sch 2003; 2003(11):2.
32. Zhou SL, Zhuo HJ. Healthy growth of students in the internet era: An experimental report on the impact of the internet on the psychological development of primary and secondary students and educational intervention. Educ Inform Technol 2010; 2010(6):3.
33. Zhang JF. The establishment of identity in students. J Chin Society Educ 2012;2012(8):43-46.
34. Li M, Chen YJ. Teenagers lost on the Web: The status quo of Internet addiction among adolescents and countermeasures. Class Teacher 2019; 2019(5):5-7.
35. UNESCO International Commission for the Development of Education. Learning to Be: The World of Education Today and Tomorrow. Educational science of Publishing House. 1996.
36. Liu Y, Wang Q, Yang GD, Zhou WH, Yao XM, Fang ZH. Anxiety, depression, and personality traits of Internet addicts. Chin J Drug Abuse Prevent Treat 2010; 2010(3):151-154.
37. He JR. Causes of Internet addiction among primary and secondary school students and education on proper internet use. Read Writ Period 2019; 2019(7):75+87. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16071/j.cnki.cn51-1650/g4.2019.07.058
38. Liu SF. An examination of online game addiction among primary and secondary school students and countermeasures. Modern Educ Sci 2013; 2013(1):25+11.
39. Yi K. Let not “online industries” spoil the younger generation. Information China 2006;2006(19):39.
40. Ministry of Education of China. The Notification on Strengthening the Regulation of Smart Phone Use Among Primary and Secondary School Students. The Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China. (2021-1-18). Available at:: http://www.moe.gov.cn/srcsite/A06/s7053/202101/t20210126_511120.html
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.