Intergenerational transmission exists in parents’ and children’s educational attainment as well as in biological genetic inheritance. In fact, it impacts educational attainment transfer across generations in many ways. This article elaborates from different angles on the characteristics, disparities and causes of intergenerational education transmission, and explores the effects of intergenerational transmission inequality on education and the implications of this study.
Intergenerational Transmission, Education, Inequality in Resources
2. Restuccia D, Urrutia C. Intergenerational persistence of earnings: The role of early and college education. Am Econ Rev 2004; 94(5):1354-1378. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1257/0002828043052213
3. Hendel I, Shapiro J, Willen P. Educational Opportunity and Income Inequality. J Public Econ 2005; 89 (5-6):841-870. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpubeco.2004.11.004
4. DeBaryshe BD, Patterson GR, Capaldi DM. A performance model for academic achievement in early adolescent boys. Develop Psychol 1993; 29(5):795-804. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.115
5. Raftery AE, Hout M. Maximally maintained inequality: Educational stratification in Ireland. Sociol Educ 1993; 65:41-62. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2112784
6. Tang DS, Han XF. Regional educational human resources and intergenerational education transmission: Suppression or promotion. Modern Educ Admin 2020; 2020(4):25-31. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16697/j.1674-5485.2020.04.004
7. Nimubona AD, Vencatachellum D. Intergenerational education mobility of black and white South Africans. Popul Econ 2007; 20(1):149-182. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00148-006-0120-9
8. Li XM. A dynamic study on intergenerational education transmission in China. Doctoral dissertation. Shanxi University of Finance and Economics. 2018.
9. Wu YX. Inequality in educational opportunities between urban and rural residents in China and its evolution (1978-2008). Chin Soc Sci 2013; 2013(3):4-21.
10. Mare RD. Statistical models of educational stratification: Hauser and Andrew’s model for school transitions. Sociol Methodol 2006; 36:27-37. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9531.2006.00173.x
11. Bourdon R. Education, Opportunity, and Social Inequality: Changing Prospects in Western Society. London: John Wiley. 1974.
12. Jiang GH, Yan GF. Household capital and disparity between urban and rural academic achievements: An empirical analysis. Youth Study 2006; 2006(6):28-34. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1008-1437.2006.06.004
13. Li Y. Social change and generation mechanism of educational inequality. History Teach 2006; 2006(3S):1.
14. Sullivan A. Cultural capital and educational attainment. Sociology 2001; 35(4):893-912. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0038038501035004006
15. Gonzalez A, Wolters CA. The relation between perceived parenting practices and achievement motivation in mathematics. J Res Childhood Educ 2006; 21(2):203-217. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/02568540609594589
16. Xin ZQ, Chi LP. Teenagers in Social Change. Beijing: Beijing Normal University Press. 2008.
17. Xie ZX. Wang WY. Differences of higher education enrollment opportunities for children from all social strata in China from the perspective of higher education popularization. J Educ 2008; 2008(2):65-74. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1673-1298.2006.02.008
18. Plug E, Vijverberg W. Does family income matter for schooling outcomes? Using adoptees as a natural experiment. Econ J 2005; 115(11):879-906. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2005.01023.x
19. Guryan J, Hurst E, Kearney MS. Parental education and parental time with children. J Econ Persp 2008; 22(3):23-46. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.22.3.23
20. Castello-Climent A, Domenech R. Human capital inequality, life expectancy and economic growth. Econ J 2008; 118(4): 653-677. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2008.02136.x
21. Kirchsteiger G, Sebald A. Investments into education: Doing as the parents did. Eur Econ Rev 2009; 54(4):727-739. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2009.09.004
22. Zhang S, Zeng QB. A review of the effect of the intergenerational human capital transmission in education. Econ Persp 2011; 2011(8):129-134.
23. Wang FQ, Shi YW. Family background, educational expectation and college degree attainment: An empirical study based on Shanghai survey. Chin J Sociol 2014; 34(1):21. Available at: https://www.society.shu.edu.cn/CN/Y2014/V34/I1/175
24. Xu SJ, Zhou DY. The intermediary role of education in intergenerational social class transmission. J Soc sci 2017; 2017(9):91-100. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13644/j.cnki.cn31-1112.2017.09.008
25. Cui HJ. On the characteristics of the middle class in modern England. J Liaocheng Univ (Soc Sci Ed) 2021; 2021(4):73-78. DOI: https://doi.org/10.16284/j.cnki.cn37-1401/c.2021.04.011
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.